hot

Superman Has Killer Weed

When I took over the shop from TJ two and a half years ago, he told me it was like he was sending his baby (the shop) off to college. He wanted me to move forward with it, to help it grow and continue to grow and to change. I thought I understood what he meant but as the years have gone by I think I'm only just now beginning to understand. It seems like I'm just here to help facilitate this entity we call the shop into becoming whatever it's going to become. Like my hair, the shop is ever changing and has a mind of it's own.

I've learned not to push too forcefully or too much with the shop. If something doesn't fit, well, it just doesn't fit. Whether it's an artist or a color I want to paint the wall (Bright Green? What?!). When we started the construction a few months ago I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do...It sounds crazy to think that I would begin to tear down walls without really knowing exactly every aspect of what was going to be done. Or that I would leave the country half-way through it. I can't tell you that it (or any part of the last few years) has been stress-free, or painless. But somehow everything works out in the end.




The construction isn't completely finished and each day someone is in there working on it...whether it's Ian painting or Adam adding more trim to new places we didn't know we'd want to have trim... Each week holds something new for Idle Hand. This week was no exception. As the shop takes on new shape and form, so too do the artists who work within it's walls. And while change can be difficult, sometimes it's necessary. This week Jason Tyler Grace announced he will be leaving Idle Hand to embark on a new journey. It's hard to find words that can sum up working with Jason over the last 4 years at this moment. All I can say right now is Jason will be greatly missed but we are all excited for him to start a new adventure.

And I'm excited about what's in store for Idle Hand. Last week was a productive week as far as tattoos go. I'm so excited about working with our newest artists, Eric and Cris, and also inspired by everyone else I work with, whether it be full time or popping through as a guest artist (Tilt was here this week and I'm going to post about him next week when I have pictures of the tattoos he did). Here are a few samplings of some of the work made at Idle Hand this week:




Here's a big, intricate piece Jason D. started. It depicts the legend of Kiyohime and the Monk Anchin.



Iggy did this tattoo on Ryan Gregg while he was here doing a guest spot. Ryan's a pretty rad dude and we all had a great time hanging out with him.



Ryan and Isaac



Eric Jacobsen




Cris Cleen



Holly Ellis

One last thing I learned this week is that I need to start writing these blogs during the week instead of the day I'm supposed to post. It's after 3 a.m. and my eyes are no longer looking in the same direction. I'd rather be sleeping right now but instead I've been editing photos and trying to figure out how to add video! Also, why are some of my pictures no longer centered? Bleargh!  So without further ado, I will leave you with this little gem:



Love you guys!!

Hope everyone has a great week! See you next Monday ...

xoxo hollyellis